Thursday, November 6, 2008

Sailing with the Baja Ha-Ha

We are on the second leg of three in the Ha-ha. The first leg was
San Diego to Turtle Bay. This portion was about three days and nights
long. The second leg is from Turtle Bay to Bahia Santa Maria. This
is the portion we are currently on. Its about 6:30 and we are on our
second night. We are hoping to pull into the bay at about 2am
tonight. I am really excited about this stop. Turtle Bay was fun,
but I didn't know any kids yet. Here in Bahia Mera, Aeron and I plan
to meet up with all the kids we met at the beach party in Turtle Bay.
It is going to be really fun. Bahia is supposed to have really good
surfing waves. My friend on s/v Calou has a couple boogie boards we
can ride on. My mom is going to throw us a party tomorrow for all the
kids. They will all come to our boat and the adults will all go to
another boat. We are going to swim around the boat and play a number
of games. I'm not really sure what else we are going to do but we'll
figure something out. It's going to be a pot-lucky kind of deal.
There is also going to be a beach party in Bahia Santa Maria. We
are going to bring dessert. Alot of people are going to bring fish.
We have been listening to the VHF, and about half the fleet have
called in with fish that they have caught. We are included. We caught
a 25 pound Yellow Fin Tuna and before that we caught a bonito. He put
up a fight! We just finished the bonito and are tackling the yellow-
fin. Mom wants to grill it, I want to fry it, and Dad wants to eat it
raw. Mera and Aeron say that they could do without the fish at all.
Just shows how salty the aren't.
Sailing with all these boats around us is definitely a new
experience. I'm not used to sharing the ocean with all other people.
On the way down Vancouver we didn't see many other boats. Now you
can't turn 360 without seeing another boat. It does have its
advantages though. With all the boats spread out and heading in the
same direction, we can get weather reports from up to 80 miles away.
You can just get on the VHF and call the fleet and you come back with
answers. The VHF also has a very entertaining chat room for kids if
I'm ever bored. That doesn't happen much, my parents keep me busy.
I'm the one who has to go out and trim the sails, raise the chute and
scrub the decks.
We are keeping busy and having fun on the Baja Haha!

No comments: